Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter dated September 6, 2010

Letter dated September 6, 2010

[Dear friends and family, I hope this letter finds all of you well on this Labor Day - 2010. It is hard to believe that our summer is officially over after today! We appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts for Joseph! Joseph's editor - BWS]

Hello Everybody,

This week was wonderful. I went up to Olomouc while my companion, Elder Peterson was in Bratislava (the capital city of Slovakia). I was working with Elder Pearson, which was great because he was in our missionary district last transfer and I was able to be with him again. I heard something about a shooting in Bratislava from home, but don't worry, nothing happened to the missionaries. [Last Monday, the news carried a story about a shooting at a hospital in Bratislava where 7 people were killed. BWS]

Olomouc is a very beautiful city. If you have the opportunity, look online and do a google search for Olomouc. Hopefully you can easily find a picture of the sloup, or tower, on the main square. [I will look for this and send everyone a picture of this - if I am able to find one! BWS] It is quite detailed and beautiful. I absolutely loved being there and the people there were way (for lack of a better word) cool. We met with and talked with a lot of people, and talked a lot about the Book of Mormon and what it is. We worked really hard and tried to talk with as many people as possible. It was a really good experience.

I am glad to hear that my family back home is reading Preach My Gospel together. I am reading that as well, and have a personal goal to finish it this tranfer, so I have about seven or so weeks left. I read most of it last tranfer, but I am trying to go over it more carefully this time, searching for things to apply in my personal work to become a better missionary. I do not have a ton of time left, but Dad, could you talk a little about what PMG is?
[Preach My Gospel is a fairly new publication that was written by our church's presiding authorities which summarizes many of our beliefs and discusses our role in sharing the message with others. It is a good book for individual and for family study! BWS]

If you remember a few weeks ago, I mentioned a Vietnamese family with whom we were working. Well, after a couple weeks of cancelled appoinments, we were able to meet. And Honza, the son, had read everything we asked him to read. We talked to him a lot about faith in Jesus Christ and how we find that faith. Honza is not a Christian, but he did say that he is willing to try and see what we have to offer him. This was really great for us to hear and we are both praying hard that we can teach him well, and with the spirit of God over the next while.

Well, I have to run, but I love you all. The Church is True and I know that Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Redeemer, loves us and has made it possible for us to return to heaven.

S laskou (with love),
Starší Josef Šindler

Could somebody e-mail me a picture or map of the Czech Republic, about the size of half a normal page to the size of a full page. [This sounds like a good project for Weston! BWS]

[For those of you who have mailed things to Joseph, please note that the mail seems to be unreliable and he is not receiving everything that is sent. I sent a package 3 months ago which he did NOT receive. Sister Martinez, Joseph did NOT receive your letter (yet). He did receive a letter from Sister Elliott and the Young Women of our Ward. (Thank you!) The most reliable means of communication seems to be through e-mail. Send me your notes and I will gladly forward them to Joseph! BWS]

No comments:

Post a Comment