Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter dated March 1, 2010

Dear family and friends,

Here is the letter we received from Joseph this morning! If you want to send him a note, you can write to him (directions below) or you can simply send a response to this e-mail and I will forward it to him.

I hope you are all doing well!

Joseph's editor (BWS)

Hello all,

Prague is a wonderful city. The people here are amazing and it has been a blast (in a good way) being here. Czech is still (incredibly) hard, but I am learning more and it is getting (slightly) easier to speak to people.

I am still having a ton of fun (hardworking fun, but fun nonetheless). The city here is really beautiful and I love looking at all the cool buildings (avoiding looking at all the naked statues makes this interesting). I have taken some cool pictures, but I forgot my camera on today again, so it will be at least another week until I sent some out.

Church was great yesterday. It was all in Czech, I understood very little, but I am starting to pull out more words that I know and am really excited because soon (I hope) I will be able to actually talk to people. There are a ton of cool church members here in Prague. Petr Spirit is one such member. There are several ways to say hello here, such as Dobrý den or Ahoy, but my favorite is "nazdar". It is a very familiar form of hello, and as far as I can tell, its English equivalent is "what's up?" It's cool though, because Brother Spirit, when he sees me, will say "Nazdar Schindler", which sounds really cool.

Mom and Dad, I got your letter last Monday and I think you sent it on Tuesday or Wednesday, so it takes about six days for mail to get to me. In the future though, please include the name of the Church FIRST, just like it is written below. This way, representatives from the mission home can pick up my mail. Do not put my name first. It is probably more important that the Church's name is on any letter I receive than my own name (still include my name though :-)).

Ciírkev Ježíše Krista Svatých Posledních Dnů
Elder Joseph William Schindler
Milady Horákové 85/95
170 00 Praha 7-Holešovice
Czech Republic-Europe


Also, here are some more guidelines for mail that you send to me (these are more for my family, so if you do not plan on sending me mail, you need not read this part. Remember, recycle, recall, redeem, reindeer, r_, etc... the following):

We have great difficulty in claiming packages that are sent via Fed-Ex, UPS or DHL; Insured; Valued with a high dollar amount; Complicated or high value contents. Also, a duty will likely be charged. (The example I was given was that a $200 camera would cost at least $200 in duty taxes, if it arrives). Powdered drink mix would may require extensive examination including a request for exact ingredients. (I am just relaying what the paper I was given says, these are not my own words or examples).

It is best to send packages regular air mail or in Global Priority boxes or envelopes that are purchased at the post office. The contents should be listed as missionary supplies, photos, CDs, books, candy or something of that nature. Keep it simple. Also, I was told to inform people that if I want a package in a timely manner to not insure or declare a value of more than $80.

Anyway, I hope to hear from you soon. (sorry about the long regulation list).

Anyway, I have to go. Sorry I did not talk about a lot of stuff, but hopefully I will be quicker next time and be able to type more.

Love,
Elder Schindler (Joseph)

No comments:

Post a Comment