Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter dated March 15, 2010

Letter dated March 15, 2010

[Dear family and friends, here is Joseph's latest letter that we received today. I have added a couple editorial comments -- which I include in [brackets]. As you can tell, Joseph loves hearing from all of you. Thank you for your letters. If you want to send him a letter, you can simply respond to this e-mail -- and I will send him your note/letter! Thank you for your support of Joseph!

Joseph's editor! BWS]

Hello everybody,

We have had yet another wonderful week in the beautiful city of Prague. We worked extra hard at contacting as many people as possible (especially people on public transportation). We hope that by continuing to do this, we will be able to find some great new people to teach.

I got your letter around last Tuesday Dad. Thank you. I really like getting mail. [This would have been the letter in which I included everyone's notes to Joseph!] (I will send a letter home this week Mom, don't worry).

My apartment is quite nice. It is fairly simple, but everything works and looks pretty good. It is not huge, but there is plenty of room to walk around and do everything that we need to do. The public transportation system here is quite extensive. It consists of the metro (underground), several trams, as well as many buses. My companion, Elder McGowan, and I use it quite a bit and are both very pleased with how it works.

Prague is quite a beautiful city. We are hoping to do some sightseeing today (as a preparation day activity), but we may just play basketball. Both my companion and I have been sick since Friday night, but we are taking care to wash our hands and to eat good foods. (I am still taking Vitamin, C Mom, and Multi-Vitamins). It is not totally bad though. My throat is sore, and I sound a lot like Christian Bale in the Batman movies. We have still been working though and are excited for the warm weather we hope is coming.

So last Sunday began Daylight Savings time. Unfortunately, my companion and I found that out after we arrived at the church building that Europe does not celebrate DST for two more weeks. We were not excited to have gotten up at 5:30. We were able to help set up the building a bit in preparation for church though, so it was not all bad.

I thought that I would also share some sort of spiritual thought with you this week. In the Book of Mormon, in Mosiah chapter 2, King Benjamin is talking to the people he leads. He is old and knowing that he will pass away soon, has called the people to come and hear what he has to tell them. During his life, King Benjamin had been a very righteous man and has led his people to do righteous things and to follow the commandments of God. He also was a hard working man and supported himself by working alongside his people in the fields and he supported himself through his own labor and always tried to help other people. Encouraging his people to also help one another, he pleads that the people remember that when the people "are in the service of [their] fellow beings, they are only in the service of [their] God." (Mosiah 2:17). This is really one of my favorite scriptures. I would say more, but I am almost out of time, so I must go.

Love,
Elder Joseph Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment