Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter dated June 28, 2010

Letter dated June 28, 2010

[Dear family and friends, here is the letter that we received from Joseph today. I will send the pictures separately. I hope all is well with all of you! Thank you for your love and your support of Joseph!! Joseph's editor - BWS]

Ahoj,

I hope that you enjoy the pictures. Two are of me and the other is one I took of my companion this morning (we were excited to find that tree stump the other day). I am doing well here v Třebíči. It is much smaller than Prague (it is the smallest city in the country that has missionaries in it), but it is absolutely gorgeous. The homes are very interesting to see and the city even has a historical Jewish quarter (from what I understand, no Jewish people live there though). There are a ton of hills here. Everywhere we go, we end up walking up a hill, steep staircase, or something. It is very interesting to see how all the buildings fit together, and then fit into all the hills. It is amazing here.

Třebíč is small. I am not sure exactly how small [According to Wikipedia, it has about 40,000 people. BWS], but we can walk across it in about 40 minutes if we go quickly. As with many homes here, the roofs are almost all red, which is quite beautiful. The Jihlava river runs through the town also. I have already crossed it many times. The hills here are really quite exciting and there seems to be an abundance of little nooks and cranies for stores, restaurants, homes, doors, etc...

I do not really know anything about the history here, although it apparently has the oldest Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic and one of the oldest in Europe. If you want to know more about it, I would Google it. In English, it is likely spelled Trebic, although I do not know for sure.

Třebíč is quite a ways away from Prague and is fairly close to Brno, another large city here in the ČR [Czech Republic]. I will still go to Prague about once a month for Zone Conference, but I will not miss it too much, since is is great here. I am super excited to be a missionary here and the next two months are going to be great.

The branch (the members here in Třebíč) is awesome. Many of them are related, but everyone is very kind and helpful, and it is a lot like normal family wards (a ward is like a branch, but bigger; for instance, the members of the church in Bay City, MI constitute the Bay City Ward) back home. [A ward is a large congregation; a branch is a smaller congregation. BWS] They are super good to work with and are all very willing to help us out and to make our lives easier.

My apartment is huge. The missionaries here switched apartments about three months ago, since they got a really good deal on the current apartment. It is right on the naměstí (town square), which is right in the center of town. The apartment is about the size of my house in Michigan, not including the basement and the renovated garage. It really is about the size of our kitchen, dining room, the two bedrooms, the bathroom and the front room. It is a little bigger than what we need, but it is a very nice place for us to live.

My companion is Awesome. Starší Peterson is from Eden, UT (next to Ogden) and is the ninth of ten children. He is a super cool Elder and was studying guitar at Utah State before coming on his mission. He is super nice and it has been great to work with him for the past few days. We are both very much excited for this transfer and I am sure that we will have a great time together.

In other news, President Slováček and his wife are going home in about three days. They have been here for just short of three years now (about three days short) and their time of service is just about up. President Erwin and his wife will be arriving on July 1st. The only thing I know about them is that they are from England. I will let y'all know more when I know more. I will likely get to meet him on Friday when my companion goes to Brno for leadership training.

I do have a couple requests. If it would be possible, I know what I want for my birthday this year. I know the BYU bookstore has them and probably Deseret Book does also, but I would like one of those wooden Plan of Salvation puzzles in Czech. If you could somehow have a friend/relative purchase one and send it to me somehow, that would be sweet. If not, that is okay too.

I love you all and wish you the best.

Love,
Starší Joseph Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment