Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter dated May 10, 2010

Letter dated May 10, 2010

[Dear family and friends, here is the letter we received today from Joseph. We were able to talk to him on Mother's Day (yesterday), which was wonderful. He sounds very happy and excited. Thank you for your prayers and notes of support! Joseph's editor (BWS)]

Hello All,

I had a wonderful time talking to my family yesterday. It was great to hear from everybody and to hear how everyone is doing.

I am still doing well here in the Czech Republic. It has been raining for the last couple days, but that is okay. People tend to feel sorry for us when we look like we are suffering out in the rain and will talk to us more readily. Fortunately, we really do not have to stand out in the rain all day, but we have been caught in some spring showers.

We are meeting with some awesome people here. I wrote a little about them since the predominant suggestion from many of you for ways in which I could improve my letters seemed to be to be by including more specific about the people I teach. Here you go:

Norman, our investigator from Leipzig, is learning a lot. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon in German and he is very interested. At every meeting he comes with more questions about the things that he has read to make sure he understands or to ask for clarification. We taught him about the commandments last week, and he understood well. He said that they all make perfect sense and understands them. He even stopped smoking and drinking when he found out that we do not (on his own accord). He has been coming to church and has liked it so far. He does not feel like he is ready for baptism yet, but he is very interested in the Holy Ghost. We have very high hopes for him.

Rob Carter, the man we are teaching from Connecticut, is also doing well. He liked the Restoration film and is very intrigued by our beliefs, especially the Book of Mormon and our view on the purpose of life, and the question regarding where we are going after death. He agrees with many of our beliefs and we hope to meet with him more often to help him better understand us and the wonderful gift/blessing that is the Book of Mormon.

We are also teaching a girl named Martina. She is a student at Charles University and seems to want to know everything about us. We found out that she went to the Library at CU (I do not know if that is a real abbreviation) and checked out every book they own about us and published by us. We are not quite sure what she is looking for, but we hope to find out soon so that Starší Roubíček [Joseph's companion]and I can help her find it.

I also sent a picture a few minutes ago of me with my companion and zone leaders from last transfer. They are Elders Hicken, McGowan, Kartchner, and Schindler (me). I hope you like it. It is a picture of us right before Elder McGowan went off to Olomoc for this next transfer cycle. [I will try to send this to everyone later today!]

I am loving my mission and am having a superb time. Learning about the gospel and learning Czech have been (and still are) difficult tasks, but the blessings and help I receive from my efforts are worth it. The missionaries I work with and around are great and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to be here. I love you all and wish to the best in everything.

Love,
Starší Joseph Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment