Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 28Nov2011

[Dear friends and family, here is the letter we received from Joseph yesterday. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! If you would like to send a note to Joseph, simply reply to this note -- and I'll forward your note to him. He LOVES hearing from you!

We hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We were blessed to be able to spend time with Julie's brother (David and Jennifer) and their sons and family and my niece (Natascia, Andrew and Hazel!) and friends. We ate well -- and enjoyed seeing everyone!

It looks like our beautiful November is ending today - as our first storm is approaching. We hope everyone can stay healthy, warm and safe during this wintry season.

With warmest regards - Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dearest Family,
So not a whole lot has changed in the past few days including my supply [or lack!] of pictures. I still love you a lot though and am grateful that I was able to read letters from three of you today (I am focusing on the good, that three people wrote me and not on the four people who did not (Breston, Brocholas, Bristopher and Brondrew or whatever you changed your names to)). [Can any one crack the code and guess what 4 family members did NOT write to Joseph??!] It sounds like things have settled down a little bit and I hope that they continue to do so.
So here are some cool things that happened in the past few days. One, a potential investigator named Brother T, who I contacted over two months ago happened to be walking along a street that two handsome, dashing missionaries were also walking down (i.e. Elder Story and Elder Schindler). These elegently dressed young men hailed said Brother T and we began talking. He has been going through a rough time trying to get custody of his son, and is worried about him. We set up for a meeting later that day, and he came! We taught about Christ and how He knows his troubles and how he can overcome them. I was so glad we were walking down that street. I was not so glad however that we contacted him right in front of a television playing a Shakira music video. She is definitely not the "guardian of virtue" that Sister Dalten encourages the young women to be. Very hard to ignore since I was standing right in front of it.
Also, we met a young married couple about three weeks ago and we are finally able to meet with them (i.e., every Czech and Slovak missionary's dream). They are quite well traveled and have seen missionaries in several parts of the world. They were a little more interested in getting to know us and why we came on misisons, but we had a fairly good lesson and were able to set some good expectations as to why we meet with people (to help them prepare for baptism). We have high hopes for them.
We did a lot of finding this week and overall I was pleased with what we saw.
I love you all and am enjoying my mission. It is way warm today. We had a rather cool summer and I joked around with my companions that I hoped that the cool summer was an indicator of a mild winter (an act of humor attempting to distract from the possibility of the horror of a frigid winter). We actually are having an unusually warm time here with only a VERY light frosting of snow last week. Now if önly we could have unusually long days leading up to December 21 ( I am not a fan of darkness at four thirty in the afternoon).
I love you. Good luck this week and keep me in your prayers,

Love,
Starší Josef Šindler

No comments:

Post a Comment