Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 12Dec2011

[Dear family and friends, here is the letter that we received from Joseph today. We can't believe that he will be home in 15 days!

If you have a Christmas greeting you would like me to pass along to him -- send it as a reply - and I'll get it to him next Monday! He LOVES hearing from all of you.

I hope that you are finding Christ in your holiday preparations.

Love, Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dear Family,

So, I do not really know what to say. I have had plenty of time today to write, but I am feeling very lazy and don't know what to write. I even wrote you a letter this morning since I could not sleep, but there were not very many precious jewels of knowledge in that letter either. I will make a championship effort though for the next fifteen minutes and try to give you something worth reading.

First of all, this week has been very warm. There were a few cold days, when we had rain that turned to snow and then to rain again. It was cool to watch but not to stand in. After that though, it has been feeling like spring. I am hoping for snow right around Christmas time. It is pretty, but I don't want it to fall soon enough that I have to walk in it. I am warm enough though and all is well in that regard.

We found some great new people this week. One was found the week before, but we have already met twice and he, Brother F is progressing well. He is reading quite a bit and is very interested in the message. Finally contacting at the end of the day on a Saturday night paid off (I always knew it would, but it finally came). We also found an older married couple, whose daughter was baptized about fifteen years ago here in Jihlava and now lives in California. They had a wonderful poster of the Salt Lake temple in their dining room. We have not been able to find out if they were ever officially taught the gospel, but we are starting to teach them. They are very sweet and wonderful. They even had one of the old, original copies of the Book of Mormon in Czech that said KM on the front (Kniha Mormonova) that implied that it was a book about Karl Marx, a misconception that the early church members took advantage of. I actually asked if I could have it since it means a lot to missionaries here. They gave it to me, with some apple strudel.

We are very happy to be working with Brother J, our branch mission leader. He is doing a wonderful job helping us and helping the work progress here in Jihlava.

Elder Story is great. He and I are loving our time together, although I think we tease each other and talk about basketball more than we should. We are seeing a lot of success together though and I have been really grateful for the opportunity to work with him, even if he is from Utah (just to clarify, that was a joke).

I am well and happy, but unfortunately Ginger Ale Milka chocolate has been on sale at Tesco (Euro version of Walmart, or Meijer) and so I am not sure how long the well and healthy description will be able to apply. We will be having a branch party this Friday at the Page's home (the senior couple here) and are looking forward to that.

I love you all a lot. Keep me in your prayers and I am looking forward to hearing from you next week.

Love,
Elder Schindler

ps-Ginger ale is good, but root beer is better. hint. hint.

pps-You can buy Oreos here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment