Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 22Aug2011

[Dear friends and family, I hope everyone is staying cool and safe. We have greatly enjoyed being with family in Utah and Idaho. We are getting ready for our trek home to Michigan! Maybe Weston will have a mission call awaiting our arrival at home!

We are very blessed to have wonderful family and friends. Thank you all! Be sure to send me any notes that you may have for Joseph -- and I will forward them to him.

Be safe and enjoy the last days of summer, 2011!

Love, Joseph's editor - BWS]

Hello Family,

I have some requests for you if that is okay.

If you could swing by Deseret Book, could you pick me up a copy of the most recent conference Ensign magazine and mail it to me (the one with the Salt Lake Temple on it). [The Ensign magazine is a monthly church magazine.]

Also, please go to the Wikipedia page on The Great Blue Heron and email me the page that contains its information. Maybe also the page on herons themselves. I would like that. Please agree on who will do that and do it soon. Please. This week.

Also, let me know what happened with BYU and my enrollment deferment. Keep me posted.

Also, Elder McGowan, well Sean, would like to be added to the email list his address is "McGowan, Sean" <czechmate19@gmail.com>, .[He was Joseph's trainer. He recently returned home to New Jersey.]

Say hi to Alex for me. Ask him and Craig to write me. [Alex recently returned home from Mexico; Craig recently returned home from Colorado.]

Congratulations to Brigitte on her graduation. That sounds great for her and I am glad to hear about that. [Congratulations, Brigitte - on your graduation from BYU!]

So really quick, here is a description of this week's miracles:

First, Brother M, [different from Brother M who was recently baptized], a man that we found who recently was diagnosed with leukemia and had almost no hope, has completely turned around. He believes now and has found a light from God in his life. He is more or less alone in life, but his prayers have been so grateful for meeting us and learning of Christ. This is the first time I have really seen such a change in someone due to the atonement and due to Christ himself. This has been an amazing experience. He is preparing for baptism and has been to church twice.

Also, Brother Š came to church. He is learning so well and LOVES the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. he is making very solid and regular progress now.

Okay, so here is a quick story. Yesterday, I was only one of two Melchizedek Priesthood holders [this is the church priesthood held by adult males] in church because our leaders were gone with family and in the hospital (with Leukemia). This brother with leukemia, Brother K, is simply amazing and is so positive, even in his advanced stage of the disease. He has been a key factor in helping Brother M find hope). The other Melchizedek Priesthood holder was my companion, Elder Heath [a new Elder in the mission]. So, I conducted Sacrament Meeting [our main Sunday worship service], gave a talk at the end to fill up time and then taught Sunday School (Second coming of Christ) -- it actually went very well. We focused on being spiritually prepared for the Second Coming of Christ). I was very busy and spent most of the week getting ready for all of those things. I had the talk ready just in case I needed to give it. I talked about living after the manner of happiness and used several verses from 2 Nephi 5 on principles of living a happy life. I was quite busy, a little nervous, but everything went well. We even gave Brother J, a new convert, the Aaronic Priesthood [the preparatory Priesthood which is held by new converts and young men], and he is our newest Priest [an office in the Aaronic Priesthood] in our wonderful branch here. Plus Brother M[the new convert] blessed the Sacrament for the first time today. It was simply a great Sunday.

Please make sure you tell Elder Darrington, or Cody (now i guess) about Brother Š and Brother M. He left before Brother M [the new investigator] made that big change. [Welcome home Elder Darrington! Thank you for being such a wonderful companion for Joseph!]

Here is a funny story. So we taught Brother S a lesson and then he wanted to know more about BYU, since we both go there (Elder Heath and I). He ended up looking it up on Google Earth, and then showed us the street view of it on the computer. Both of us felt a little homesick, but we quickly left and laughed on the way back to town about how wonderful BYU was; then we got right back into work as we walked/planned.

I love you all. Let me know how you all are doing. Several of us over here are looking forward to hearing from Weston and where he will be preaching the gospel. [We are anxious to learn this also!]

Love,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment