Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 21Mar2011

[Dear family and friends, I hope this letter finds everyone well and happy. The calendar says that it is now Spring -- though we haven't convinced the Michigan sky yet. We are expecting two days of wintry precipitation -- and then we're hoping to see some more great days! Thank you so much for your notes to Joseph. He LOVES them! Reply to this email -- and I'll forward them along to Joseph! Have a great week! Joseph's editor -- BWS]

Dear Mom, Dad, Weston, Andrew, Daniel and Christopher and the Nicholas,

Well...I hope you enjoy the pictures. The one is of all of the missionaries who were in the MTC [Missionary Training Center] with me back at Christmas time [2009], the second is me and Elder McGowen, my trainer at Christmas time, the third is of me and Elder Dietrich (he is from Germany), and the last is of Elder Bown, Sister Štulerová and me.

Elder Bown was sick this last week with some sort of cold. He still went out and worked though so we did not go crazy inside, although we did come home early three days and on Friday we did stay home for most of the day. He is a trooper though. He does not let things get in his way. He is better now and he has finally been able to sleep well, so he does not look as tired as he used to look.

I was on exchanges with Elder Bailey last week, if you want to let Elder Peterson know. [Elder Bailey and Elder Peterson are friends from SnowFlake, AZ -- Elder Peterson is one of our missionaries here in Bay City!] He is do well and it was great to go finding with an old friend (we did work though, we did not just talk). He is doing well and happy to be back in Brno (he had been there for six months, then went to Plzn for a transfer and now is back as one of the Zone Leaders).

Most things are about the same as they have been and we were not able to meet with as many people as we would have liked, but we are still working and doing well. Jirka Palica still does not want to pray, but we have committed him to observe the Sabbath day, and with the Word of Wisdom, he has promised to not buy anymore tea, but we are working on stepping that up. Also, one Eternal Investigator [Joseph's term for long-term investigators] we are meeting with, named Bohomir Jelinek, did not want to commit to reading in the Book of Mormon for five minutes everyday, but with some insistence after sacrament meeting on Sunday, he promised to read four minutes every day and to pray. [Sounds like a fair compromise!] He is a great guy, and he comes regularly to church. He just has some hesitations about continuing further.

I love you all and am praying for you.

I will read Moroni, Chapter One today. [That's where we are as a family.] Then I will try to keep up that daily trend. (The guy behind me was just watching a drumming video and with much effort I have been ignoring him for the past few minutes.) [I am sure it reminded Joseph of his days with his drum line!] Well, I have to run again, I think I should outline these letters on Sunday night so that I can write more, but I have to leave and I have nothing...wait, I have one quick story and then I am leaving.

So last Saturday, Sister Štulerovás internet crashed for some reason, and as a result she just spent all day studying the scriptures and then when she saw that sacrament meeting was going to end a little early, she asked if she could also give a talk, to which the branch president happily obliged. It was a great talk about finding success through the gospel and not through the world. That was a great Sunday. [This is the sister who was baptized a couple of weeks ago!]

Well, got to run.

Love,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment