Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Letter dated 4Oct2010

[This is our most recent letter from Joseph. If anyone has a special message that you want Joseph's Aunt Marta to include on the Christmas tree that she is making for him -- send me (or her) the message as soon as possible! Also, there are some new pictures on Joseph's blog. Check it out!! Joseph's editor - BWS]


Dear Family and Friends,


Last week went well. We were in Brno for half the day on Thursday, and that was fun. It is a beautiful city, Elder Gale and I found a cool man in a park near the town square, and I got to see several of my missionary friends.


It is getting colder. It has been about eight degrees outside for the past week. (that is Celcius, which is about 46 F). I am already wearing my coat and to be honest, am not excited that it will be getting even colder in coming weeks and months. However, I am looking forward to living each day to its fullest, even if it is way colder than I want it to be.


Ondrej Ditě just was baptized in Jihlava, which is in our district. Elder Peterson and I went over there to Jihlava to support him and see the members over there. One of his sisters and his mother are already members and now he is too. He is a great guy and really was prepared for his baptism. He has a wonderful testimony and I know that the gospel will continue to bless his life and his family's life.


Ochir, Aggy, and their daughter Helenka [the Mongolian family] came to church yesterday. It was great. Ochir and Aggy were welcomed, almost literally, with open arms. Everyone in the Branch loves them. [Branch is the name of a small congregation.] Several member came up and talked to them, sat next to them in meetings, and shared their scriptures with them. It was great. Helenka, too, was friendshiped very well. There are two twin girls in the branch who are about her age, and they were acting like best friends after sacrament meeting. She had a wonderful time. The best part of that experience though, was when the Branch President set up a meeting with them at his home on Wednesday, and then asked us if we could come. He is very excited for their family and that display of member missionary work was amazing. I was deeply touched and very thankful for his kindness. We are very excited for them and we are planning to extend a baptismal commitment to them this Wednesday.


Also, Weston, do you remember a Joseph Betts from the west side of Michigan? Well he is a new missionary serving over here in Prague. He says hi (he was in your EFY group). [This stands for Especially For Youth which is a youth summer camp in our church.]


I heard that conference was great this past weekend. [Our church held its semi-annual conference this past weekend where we hear talks from our church president and apostles.] I was not able to see it, but will this upcoming week. Speaking of conference, could you send me the copy of the Conference Ensign [the church magazine that includes the written versions of these talks] when you get it? We do get them here, but it is always very late. It you just mailed it to me I would be very happy. Also, if you could send me some poster tack (or puddy) that would be great. I have not been able to find it here (to clarify, it is the stuff you can use to stick papers and pictures to walls without hurting the walls). While we are on the subject of sending me things, I am aware that Christmas is coming up fairly soon. Although I do not need anything, I am fairly sure you might send me something. Please, do not send me things that I do not need. The Czech Republic is a rich country and I can purchase everything here I would ever need, except Wendy Frosties and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. (If you do want to send something though, Red Ties are always a favorite). [Hint, hint!]


Also, could someone send me the song lyrics to the ¨So long, farewell'' from the Sound of Music? I would appreciate that. Oh, and that Jewish Monument [recently sent picture] is in an old Jewish Cemetery here in Třebíč.


Love,

Elder Schindler


No comments:

Post a Comment