Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Letter dated 10Oct2011

[Dear family and friends, here is the letter that we received from Joseph today. I have included the packing suggestions to Weston -- because I thought it was interesting! I hope this letter finds you well. It is hard to believe that Joseph's mission is coming to an end in December. He LOVES hearing from you! Send your notes and messages and I will make sure he receives them!

Sincerely, Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dearest Family,
Here is my advice for Weston's packing for his mission:
First of all, do not buy everything on that packing list. You do not need that many shirts and you certainly do not need all of the first aid things they suggest. Maybe some neosporin, bandaids and Tylenol. You are going to a First world country, so you can buy anything that you find out you need or need more of down the line. Do not take a two year supply of anything (candy, medicine, batteries, etc..) you can buy it all in Spain. If I were to go on a mission to Europe again, and I am aware your mission will be warmer than mine, the only thing I would make sure to bring from home would be good shoes. You can buy shoes here, but the Rockport, Ecco and Hushpuppy brand of shoes you can buy in the US hold up much better than those here. Also, do not buy a backpack. I would suggest a smaller side bag, or a small backpack with good back support, but that is just me. This is what I would take with me if I were you.
Regarding suits, I do not know how many they suggested, but take that many.
Shirts. Take about five short sleeve and five long sleeve, but you could likely get away with less for now. My favorite shirts are the Stafford shirts at JCPennys. I suppose all of Spain may be warm so maybe you do not need the long sleeve ones.
One sweater (if it will get cold).
Two, nice pairs of shoes.
About fourteen pairs of socks.
about eight ties.
Two tshirts and two exercise shorts.
Pair of jeans
Pajamas
15 pairs of underwear
A pair of running/exercise shoes.
Scriptures. Buy them in the MTC or bring your own (you can buy them at cost in the MTC -- for way cheap).
I would pack on the lighter side if I were you, but if you have any specific questions, ask me. If you could send me the list of recommended items and I can give you my opinion on what you may actually need. Love you all.
I will send a better list next week of what I think you should and maybe should not bring. Please send the list of suggested items, though. I think that would help me adapt my advice for your climate.
Now, to the Letter.
First of all, we were able to watch General Conference. It was fantastic, but it took almost all of our weekend. The rest of the weekend was spent either planning or at our Branch President's mother's house in their garden. We spent a couple hours in the garden, on and off with the rain, turning the earth in the garden with shovels. It was great, and our shoes were covered in mud at the end. I also played a fun game where everytime I found a potato in the ground that had not been found by the pickers, I would throw it at Elder Weaver (he did not enjoy this game quite as much). In the end though we had about ten potatoes to give to the family. They also fed us an excellent Czech meal complete with dessert. Then at the end of the project, they fed us again.
This week went a little more slowly, but in the end everything was good, especially with General Conference. We had exchanges on Wednesday, which was exciting. I worked with Elder R. Bailey, who is in my MTC group, but is not the Elder Bailey from AZ. It was great to be able to work together and encourage each other to make sure we are enduring to the end well. We even found someone who we met with twice again this past week.
I will try to write more next week, but it is time to go.
I love you, and I am sorry but I have to run.
Love,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment