Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 3Jan2011

[Dear friends and family, here is the letter we received today from Joseph. I hope you enjoy it! We wish all of you a wonderful and successful New Year! May 2011 be a year of positive growth and adventure for you!

Dear (insert your own name and/or your personal demographic here),

Well, first of all. I have about six minutes to write this, so this will be short.

I love Zlín. It is great here and way pretty. I looks a lot like how I always imagined Saginaw would look (note that I have not ever really spent a lot of time in Saginaw so I let my imagination take over a little bit). The sun is shinning today and that is great. Elder Bown is great, and is a positive and humble missionary. To clarify, he is an American citizen, but he grew up in Germany and Switzerland and speaks German fluently. He is excited too, because in the city next to us, the new missionary there is a German and so they like to speak together at district meetings. However, this puts the rest of us at a disadvantage, so I am often called upon to translate (please note that this means that I usually call upon myself to translate) and I do my best to make up interesting and dynamic conversations. In my "translations", their preferred topics of conversation include camels, thievery, genetically modified hampsters and their sisters).

Family, could you please send me everything that you know about Joseph Schindler [This is Joseph's great, great grandfather who was born in the Czech Republic and who immigrated to the U.S.] (the one whose grave is in SLC and is Austrian, not the rather dashing American who is currently living in Zlín). Aunt Susan and I talked a little about him before I came on my mission, but could you send me everything we have (birthdate, place of birth, everything) this week. Could I have this before Monday? Please do this, this week. I would appreciate it.

I am healthy and well, but I do have to go. Next week the letter home might be better, but I am not making any promises. Thanks to everybody who wrote me, which was everybody back home. I think you all get an A for effort. [One of our family's New Years' resolutions!]

Love you all,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment