Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 17Jan2011

[Dear friends and family, we hope your new year is progressing splendidly! We hope you are enjoying Joseph's letters as much as we are. It is good to see his humor coming through. If anyone has a message for Joseph, let me know and I'll pass it along! Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dear Everybody,

Well, I hate to talk about something I do not have the ability to change or improve, but the weather here has been rather warm. It rained a couple times even. Once, in particular, Elder Bown and I were walking down a river walk here in Zlín and about three minutes after we turned around, it started to rain rather hard. Elder Bown was prepared, but I was not, as I had left my umbrella at home. However, we went back home and retreived it, and I also put on a long trenchcoat I found in the closet of our apartment. I also found a movable pull-up bar, but much to our chagrin, three of our door frames are too large for it, and three are too small.

Later that night (please note, the following story is fairly gross and I hope it does not distract from the spirit of my letter, but this was rather interesting) we went to go visit a member, and she took our umbrellas to put them in the tub, in order that, or at least I thought, so that they could dry out. However I got my umbrella back soaking wet, thinking that it had likely rested on its side in a puddle in the tub. It smelled faintly of cat (she has two), and so I kept it at the end of an extended arm until we arrived home. Upon arriving home, I found that it smelled very strongly of cat, because, I am rather sure, one of them urinated on the umbrella and then it sat for several minutes in the feline liquid. It stunk up our apartment for the next day, and I spent about twenty minutes scrubbing it before going to bed. That was probably the grossest thing that has happened to me on my mission. Hope it does not happen to you. Although now, it smells of Adidas body wash (Team Victory) and slightly of cat urine.

Well, I am doing well. I am healthy and my meat consumption has plummeted, although, I have not quite made the change to actually being a vegetarian. (Joseph's companion is a vegetarian.) I think I have said this before, but I really think that I need to stop buying Nutella. [I think this is like chocolate peanut butter.] I think that really needs to change.

We are teaching a really amazing woman. Her name is Eva Štulerová and she was a member referal from a long-time member here named Sister Palusková. We do not get very many of such referalls, but Sister Štulerová is one of the most prepared people I have ever taught on my mission. She loves what we are teaching her and she accepted a commitment to baptism on our second meeting with her last Tuesday. She loves church (even though I was one of the speakers (actually, I did a good job. I spoke about covanents and the protection we have through covenant making)) and she is very excited to learn all about the things we have to teach. Meeting her was really a tender mercy from the Lord. It has been a wonderful experience to meet with her.

I am a little lost in where we are reading together in the Book of Mormon. [Joseph and we are trying to coordinate our reading of the Book of Mormon together!] Could someone write me and let me know where you all are? That would be great. To be honest, I kind of slacked off in reading in the Book of Mormon at night, because I am supposed to read Preach My Gospel in Czech as part of the mission study program (I think because it is shorter). Let me know though, I want to get back on track.

I do have a request. Could you ask the Elders in Bay City how many Elders and Sisters are in the mission there and then how many Zones and districts they have, and about how many missionaries are in each zone and district? I have been curious for a little bit.

Have a great week.

Love,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment