Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

[Dear Family and friends, I hope you are all enjoying a day filled with friends, warmth, food and laughter. Joseph's preparation day was today - here is his letter. We are thankful for all of you and for the blessings of friendship! Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dear Family,

Well, I forgot to tell you, but today is P-day [preparation day] this week. I remembered about forty minutes after emailing last week, and while I was sad, I figured all individualy would survive back home. I should have told you though, it just slipped my mind. [Fortunately, the mission home let us know that Thanksgiving would be this week's preparation day!]

I do not have a ton of time right now, but I will try to fill you in on as much as possible.

Well, first off, here is a funny story. We were teaching a man on Tuesday named Pšenka, and while I was talking about when Lehi and his family came to America in the Book of Mormon, I accidentally said that they built a boat and then traveled UNDER the water, instead of sailing on the ocean, like in a submarine. He caught that, and was rather surprised, until we clarified that they had not traveled by submarine, nor by subterranian tunnels. It was rather funny, but I was way happy, because it meant he was listening to what I was saying.

Second, I have an idea that I want to run by you. I have been reading the Book of Mormon on Czech to help practice reading, pronunciation, understanding, etc... and I came up with what I think is an excellent idea. What if we started reading in the Book of Mormon together as a family? Every night we could read a chapter; you all in Michigan could read in English and every night and before I go to bed I will read the same chapter outloud in Czech. I was thinking that we could start Monday, and either start from the begining or from where you are in your reading. Then we could email each other about the things that we learned. Let me know what you think, but I think this would be awesome for us to do together. [What a great idea! I am glad we can read it in English! By the way, if anyone wants to join us, we are reading Helaman 4 tonight!]

Well, today is Thanksgiving, and also Pday. The Elders from Jihlava are over here in Třebíč today and we will be having a delicious meal provided by KFC. None of us know how to cook a turkey, and we did not feel like we really wanted to try to look for one and attempt the cooking of said bird, but KFC sounded good (Třebíč is actually too small to have a KFC or McDonalds, so the Jihlava Elders brought some chicken over with them). We will also watch the new District II film that misionaries received to help with training. It should be an interesting and good day. I may even try to make cookies, although I hope vanilla is optional, because we do not have any (I will let you know how it turns out)(by the way, I canu by vanilla here, I just have not been able to find it in Třebíč yet, and I forgot to ask the Elders in Jihlava to pick some up for us). [We should have let Joseph cook last year's turkey so he would know how! ]

We did a ton of finding this past week and a half, since all of our investigators were away. We saw some great blessings because of it though, and are looking foward to meeting with these new people. One of them even showed up to Church on Sunday. It was totally out of the blue, and we had never met him before, but he liked sacrament meeting and we taught him afterwards (his name is Martin by the way). As an intersting sidenote, almost everyone here has the same names. Although there are a variety of Czech names, almost every man is named Jan, Jiří, Martin, Michal, Lukaš, Tomaš, or Zdeněk, okay, there are more, but it seems like that sometimes.

It snowed here yesterday. Nothing stuck, except on cars, but Elder Ingalls and I were happy.

Well, I have to run, but I love you all and am wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving. Talk to you on Monday.

Love,
Elder J Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment