Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Joseph's letter dated 14Nov2011

[Dear family and friends,

I hope you are all doing well. We are already into the middle of November! I hope you all have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I hope that St. Martin's Day has been good to you. (See reference in Joseph's note below.)

Send me any response that you have for Joseph and I will forward it to him. He LOVES hearing from you!

Sincerely, Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dear Family,
So first of all my next Preparation Day will be on Thursday the 24th, so do not expect a note from me next Monday.
This last week we have had a lot of fun. My new companion is hillarious. Elder Story is from Orem, UT and is a fun, happy, great missionary. We have had a lot of fun together and I think that this transfer together will be a blast.
We actually had a very interesting first few days together. Wednesday was transfer day and then we had district meeting on Thursday. Friday was normal, but then on Saturday we went up to Hradec Kralové for a conference with the Elders in our zone, including the Elders in Třebíč, with whom we traveled. Unfortunately, we missed our train back to Jihlava by five minutes and so instead of returning at six thirty, we got back at nine thirty and then we broke our key in the lock to our apartment building. Luckily, we were able to get the broken key out of the lock after playing around with it, but we then had to fit four elders into our small apartment, since the Třebíč Elders could not get back home for another two hours. Then we all went together to Brno for a district conference and then back. Needless to say, I spent much more time in a train than I ever wanted to and am not looking forward to going to Prague this Wednesday, or next Wednesday for that matter.
Sunday was nice though. One of our investigators came to church with us by train. There were a lot of people in the building, but I think it was enjoyed. President Irwin shared a story about his childhood when a group of older kids threw him over a three foot high wall into a pile of horse manure. Then, since he was already "in it", he started throwing the manure at his tormentors. He then reminded all of the members that they are also "in it", refering to the gospel and that they should spread it around as much as they can. We all had a good laugh, and members here were highly encouraged to share the gospel with there families. There was also a story of dillegence of a man for who many years cared for a wasteland, carefully planing and caring for trees for many days and years. Then the trees eventually grew into a large forest and benefited thousands of people. It was a good story about quiet, persistent diligence.
We are doing well here also. I am happy and while it is cold, we still do not have to deal with snow, although we just had Saint Martin's Day, which is supposed to annouce the coming of snow, or rather, permitting the weather that it can snow now.
I love you all and good luck at home. I am sorry that Christopher will waste away before I return [he didn't earn enough food points in his game as a coyote], but try to keep him going as best you can. Andrew, I know that the end of marching band season has left a giant hole in your heart, but be of good courage: it will come around next year again. Daniel have fun recovering from your tooth yanking [Daniel will have his wisdom teeth taken out on November 18 - the day after his birthday!]. I remember watching a lot of Bob Ross when I had my teeth extracted. Weston, could luck working on your goals, and Nicholas, you are super.
Love,
Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment