Elder Joseph W. Schindler -- The Czech Republic

I have created a blog to make it easier to share information about Joseph and his mission to the Czech Republic. I hope you enjoy Joseph's experiences and reflections as much as we do!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Joseph's letter dated 29Dec2010

[Dear friends and family, we hope you enjoy Joseph's letter which we received this morning. It sounds like he has some more adventures ahead of him in his new city of Zlin. If you would like to send a note to Joseph, simply respond to this e-mail and I will get it to him! Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas week -- and a joyous New Year - filled with peace and love! Joseph's editor - BWS]

Dear Inhabitants and Citizens,

Well, I moved. I am now in the city of Zlín. I have been here for just under two hours and it looks great. Zlín is about one hundred km east of Brno toward Slovakia. We have a nice apartment and both our apartment and the church building are very close to the city center. I do not know much more about it, so I will not write more for the time being. My new companion is Elder Bown. He is from Switzerland (although he is an American citizen). All I know about him is that he is a vegetarian.

I think that the call session went well on Saturday. It was great to talk to everybody. It sounds like everybody is doing well, even if Christopher and Daniel are sick and even though Weston needed to wash sickness out of his hair. It was a good way to end the day. By the way, since I have moved, do not send mail to that address anymore. I do not know the new one here, but I will try to get that next week. In the meantime, I will explain why I asked not to have packages sent directly to me. It is better to send packages to the building because when sent there the Elders in the Office can pick them up for me and all is well. If they are sent to me in Zlín or Třebíč, I need to go in person to pick them up, and if I get transfered, I cannot do that. So Mail is good to go straight to me, but keep packages going to only the building in Prague. Thanks for the Reeses (by the way, I got three things total, the large box, a yellow padded envelope with letters from my brothers and a smaller package (the kind that is like a large, cardboard envelope) that had coloring book pages, a tie, and a couple other things. I was grateful to get those). Let me know if I should be expecting anything else new please (not because I am a greedy American, but it is fun to know if I might have a letter or present at zone conferences and such, or if I have to order a new name tag just so that I can get something in the mission mailbox (that was a joke, but I am thinking about doing it)). [Fortunately, there is one more package on its way! BWS]

I think I forgot to tell you, but last Friday we were allowed to watch movies and so the Elders and I watched the Testaments, the Princess Bride and Saints and Soldiers in Jihlava. That was fun. Then we went to go watch the midnight mass. However, contrary to popular belief (or rather what the four of us thought), mass did not start at midnight. We ended up only catching the last ten minutes. That was too bad for us, but oh well, no use in complaining. Although the buses stop running by then and we had a *fun* walk back to the Elders' Apartment.

Well, I do not have a lot else to add to this letter. It is a rather pitiful letter, but maybe next week's letter will be better. We email in an internet cafe here, which is nice, but there is a lot more music in the cafe than in the Třebíč library (Tom Petty still sounds kind of dumb, but Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson still sound good).

Oh, and Zlín is said pronounced like the word lean (as in to lean to one side) with a z in front of it. Or you can just say Zebra and call it good.

Love,
Elder Schindler

No comments:

Post a Comment